*If you can name the movie that the title of this post comes from, you and I were destined to be friends…
What on earth is a Liebster Award? So glad you asked. I had no idea until the gracious and talented Kayla over at The First Twenty Rows nominated me (Like two months ago. One of my many talents is procrastination). I have to be honest. I was only about a good month into blogging for real when this little notification icon popped up in my WordPress feed that had Kayla’s name next to it. I didn’t know who she was or anything about her, other than the fact that she had just nominated my newborn-blog for an award. I had one of those Sally Field “you like me! you really like me!” moments (yes, I realize that those of you under 30 have no idea what that refers to. YouTube it.). I liked her immediately, without even reading a single blog post of hers. And then I started following and reading her musings. Y’all. Girl’s got talent. Seriously…you need to check her out if you haven’t already. She’s artsy, thoughtful, has a way with words, and is just a little bit crunchy (which made my inner-hippy like her that much more). Go see for yourself.
So here’s the deal with the Liebster Award. It’s basically a way for new (or maybe not-so- new) bloggers to connect with and recognize each other. Rules of the game:
- Each nominee must have under 200 followers (this one’s kinda hard-and took a while! I may or may not have broken this rule. Although they’re all so good, I’m not really sorry)
- Thank and link to the nominating blog
- Answer their 10 questions and propose 10 new ones for your nominees
- Nominate 10 blogs and tell them that they’ve been nominated
- Write a post containing the questions
- Include these rules in the post
My answers to Kayla’s questions:
1. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? Why? I’ve actually done a fair bit of traveling thanks to several years of teaching English in Asia, but I’d love to do more European exploring. I’d probably head to Spain with my husband first, because it’s one of his favorite places – and I enjoy seeing him in his element. Then we’d head to Italy and Greece for sure, then over to Croatia to visit a friend who was an exchange student in high school, then maybe up to Sweden to visit family on my mom’s side. Oh, and catch U2 in concert in Ireland.
2. What was your favorite age to be? Is it cheating to say right now? Really, I have loved my 30s. I feel like it’s been a time of really coming to know myself, who I am in Christ, my husband, and what our callings are individually and together so much more.
3. What’s your favorite book? Ooh, that’s a hard one. I’m terrible at picking just one. The rebel in me always likes to break the rules and choose more than one…..buuuut, if I HAD to choose, I’d probably have to go with my childhood favorite, Anne of Green Gables. No matter how many times I read it, it always feels like coming back to visit a dear friend (you Anne-girl, you).
4. If you had one superhero quality, what would it be? Hmm. I actually just took one of those addictive BuzzFeed quizzes the other day to find out which Friends character you are (turns out, I was Gunther, who – let’s just be honest – is kind of creepy. Dumb quiz.). Anyways, this question was part of the quiz and the answer I picked I kind of love: I would be able to breathe underwater. To this former-Florida-girl-whose-favorite-Disney-character-was-The-Little-Mermaid-and-who-also-wanted-to-be-a-dolphin-trainer-at-Sea-World-until-she-realized-that-would-require-way-too-many-biology-classes, that’s kind of a dream-come-true. And I’ve now won an award for Most Hyphens Used in a Single Sentence.
5. What’s your favorite band or musician? All-time band, U2 (see trip to Ireland above). With musicians, I have varied tastes…everything from pop to country to jazz and indie and folk. That being said, I tend to listen to whatever I’m in the mood for at the moment. I’ve been on a Bethel music kick here lately.
6. What’s your favorite dessert? Anything chocolate and peanut butter, please. Although now that I think about it, my grandma’s pound cake with strawberries and whipped cream is divine, as is any type of fruit cobbler (blueberry, peach, apple) that my mother-in-law makes. Oh, and real Florida key lime pies. See, it’s impossible for me to choose just one.
7. What was your first car? A gray Pontiac 6000 that I lovingly named Oscar, as in Oscar the Grouch, because it kind of looked like his tin garbage can.
8. Are you a morning person? At the moment my alarm goes off, NO. Although, once I drag my patootie out of bed and get settled on the couch with my coffee, Bible and journal, I really love the early morning quiet.
9. What’s your favorite pair of shoes that you own? Any and all flip-flops. Florida-girl, remember?
10. How do you spend your free time? Usually reading – books or blogs, although FarmVille and SimCity have been known to suck me into their mindless vortex a time or two (ok, that may be a vast understatement).
My 10 Nominees:
1) Cardigan Way – truth. goodness. beauty.
2) My Ashes into His Beauty – Disclaimer: I have guest-posted here a few times, but that’s not why I’m nominating it. Kiersten has a way of being vulnerable and honest and pointing to the glory of God in her life that is just…beautiful. Plus, she happens to be one of my best friends in real life.
3) Kaitlyn Bouchillon – It Just Takes One – This one probably breaks the 200 follower rule, plus she’s been blogging for years….but, she’s REALLY talented y’all. Beautiful writing, fresh, graceful perspective on the world…and she only just graduated from college. Dang.
4) Living Life Half Full – intentionally seeking the good things
5) Snips and Snails + True Boy Tales – true to the title, blogs about life with her 3 boys, God’s grace, and good books.
6) Lovely Little Whimsy – She’s been around for a while as well, but she blogs about adoption and coffee, and has a wonderfully cute Etsy shop, so I love her.
7) Fellow Passengers – grace, faith and family life
8) Capturing the Charmed Life – apparently someone already beat me to the punch and nominated her for a Liebster. Just means she’s that good.
9) Everything He Gives – especially loved her post about writing as an overflow of what God is doing in our hearts…
10) Barren to Beautiful – Ok, I’m pretty sure Rebekah has more than 200 followers, but I HAD to include her. I stumbled across her blog last week via Fellow Passengers and….wow. My husband and I are personally in a season very similar to what she has walked through and her words are a cool sprinkler of hope on a hot summer day. I may or may not have cried my way through several of her posts. I’ll stop before I get going again.
Ready? Here are your questions:
1) If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go?
2) What was your most memorable birthday?
3) What is a goal you have for yourself?
4) What did you want to be when you were little?
5) What makes you laugh out loud?
6) What comes to your mind when you think about God?
7) If you were at a friend or relative’s house for dinner and you found a hair in your salad, what would you do?
8) If you could go back and visit any time period, what time would you travel to and why?
9) What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
10) If you could visit heaven right now and talk with one of the people of the Bible (other than Jesus), who would you talk to?